غربی تراقیا حكومت / Batı Trakya Türk Cumhuriyeti
Republic Gumuljina is the current name for the government of West Thrace. It was officially known as the Provisional Government of West Thrace (غربی تراقیا حكومت موقتهسی – Garbi Trakya Hükûmeti Muvakkatesi) and later as Independent Government of West Thrace (غربی تراقیا حكومت مستقلهسی – Garbi Trakya Hükûmeti Müstakilesi). The republic was a short-lived state during 1913 in western Thrace, with the capital Gümülcine (current Komotini).
The state was founded in the Second Balkan War by Turkish and Pombal rebels, who fought against retreating Bulgarian troops. The republic existed between two treaties: the May treaty of London and the treaty of Bucharest in August 1913. Initially, Gumuljina should be a temporary state, to be later reconfirmed by the Ottoman Empire. However, under the Bucharest Convention, the main cities (Komotini, Alexandroupolis) were taken over by Greek troops and transferred to Bulgaria. Because Bulgaria was one of the losers of the First World War, the area became a French protectorate for a short time (1919 – 1920). During this period the Republic of Gumuljina lived up a little, but the area was soon transferred to Greece. The Muslim population of West Thrace did not have to participate in the Greco-Turkish population exchange of 1923 (Peace of Lausanne).
Not much is known about the currency of Republic Gumuljina. What is known is that 40 para equaled 1 Kurush. Probably the Ottoman Lira was used as currency during the short independence of the republic.